Unwanted Sales & Survey Calls
If you receive unwanted sales or survey calls, please take the following steps:
- Be skeptical of offers that sound too good to be true; they usually are.
- Report companies using questionable sales practices to the Better Business Bureau or your State Attorney General's office.
- Disconnect computer generated calls by hanging up your telephone for 12 to 15 seconds.
- Call your local telephone company to have your name removed - at no charge - from any lists that they may lease to other firms. Customers with non-listed or non-published numbers are never included on the lists.
- Do not give your telephone credit card number to any one who calls and asks for the number.
- Subscribe to the National Do Not Call Registry at www.donotcall.gov.
- The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint with there website. You can register your home or mobile phone for free. Your registration will not expire.
- Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008.