Type of Weapon Permits Available

Annual Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revolvers - A permit to acquire authorizes the holder to purchase pistols and revolvers, however this does not authorize the holder to carry a weapon.


Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons - A nonprofessional permit to carry weapons authorizes the permit holder to carry weapons other than in connection with their employment and to purchase handguns.  New Permit to Carry Applicants must complete a Safety Education Course prior to submitting an application.  The Sheriff of the county of residence may also request an applicant submit two completed fingerprint cards and display identification of Iowa residency.


Professional Permit to Carry Weapons - A professional permit to carry weapons authorizes the permit holder to both carry weapons and to purchase handguns in connection with their employment.  A professional permit is only valid while going to and from work and while engaged in the employment for which it was issued. 



The Sheriff of your county of residence is the only person who is authorized to issue permits unless you are a non-resident of Iowa or require a permit as a result of your employment by the State of Iowa in which case the Commissioner of Public Safety can issue permits to carry.  Beginning January 1, 2011, Permit to Carry Weapon are valid for 5 years from the date of issuance.  Osceola County applicant fees for Permits to Carry Weapon is $50.00.  Please note that you must renew your permit 30 days before the expiration date, if you file after that time or after the expiration date, you will have to file for a "New" permit.



Application for Permit to Acquire Pistols / Revolvers


Application for Permit to Carry Weapons




Back to Weapon Permits

Home | Mission | Services | Tips | Jail | Press | Sales | Warrants | Wanted | Photo | 911 | K9 | Staff | Jobs | Grants | History | FAQ | Links | Permits | Car Camera

Visit the Osceola County Website | Visit the Sibley Iowa Website