What is all involved in the hiring process and the retention of a Deputy Sheriff?
The applicant must meet the following criteria.
- Submission of an application.
- Citizen of the United States.
- At least 18 years old.
- A valid Iowa driverís license.
- Is not addicted to drugs or alcohol.
- High school diploma or equivalent, most applicants possess an Associates or a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice.
- A written examination testing math, reading, and comprehension skills.
- A physical agility test consisting of push-ups, sit-ups, and a 1.5 mile run.
- A background investigation and a fingerprint search through the FBI and DCI files.
- A physical examination by a licensed physician.
- MMPI psychological evaluation.
- An interview with the Sheriff and staff.
- Successful completion of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academyís 12 week course.
- The ability to obtain and maintain certification in the following areas: CPR, First Aid, Weapons qualifications, Intoxilyzer operation, Radar unit operation, Jail procedure and medication dispensing.