George Louscher Murdered

Homer Edwards

Rodeo man held for the murder of




    The dead body of Louscher was first found by Louscher's sons Harold and Bert, who returned home from a fishing trip soon after the homicide.  They found the body face down in the roadway south of the house.



    In her testimony before the coroner's jury, Mrs. Louscher said she saw her husband last, Sunday night between 12 midnight and 1 o'clock A. M.  Homer Edwards came to the house about 11:30 p. m. and called Louscher out of bed, she did not want him to go with Edwards.  They motored west about a mile and returned about 12:20 a. m.  Heard a report which thought was a tire blowout.  After the first shot heard Geo. say "There, don't kill me."  Heard two more shots.

    Sheriff Lowry told of going to the Louscher home about one o'clock, Dr. Padgham testified as to an examination of the body.

    The coroner's jury returned a verdict charging Edwards with the murder of Louscher.  The jury comprised: A. W. Burley, E. O. Allen, and Kenneth King of Harris.  The investigation was conducted by Coroner Reinsch and County Attorney Gill. 

    Louscher had met Edwards, but a week before when Edwards and his wife called at the home.  They met a couple of times later previous to the homicide.



    George Louscher was born at St. Joe, Michigan, March 6, 1883.  Came to Iowa in 1901.  He was married to Della Gillespie, February 5, 1908, at Primghar.  For many years they farmed near Gaza, Iowa.  Since 1920 they have lived on farms near Harris.

    Aside from his widow he leaves three sons, Harold, Bert, and Johnnie; two daughters Evaline and Esther; brothers, John of Palo Alto, Calif., and Paul of Lawrence, Mich.; sister Mrs. Mary kosher of Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Sibley Gazette - July 11, 1929



George Louscher

Is Victim Of The

Midnight Murder


Homer Edwards of Worthington

Charged With Crime, Held to

Grand Jury


Allege Booze Quarrel


Deceased Leaves Widow And Five

Children.  Funeral Held




    The coroner's jury early Monday afternoon returned a verdict finding that Louscher came to his death from gunshot wounds inflicted by Edwards. 

    The funeral of Louscher was held yesterday afternoon from the family home.  Rev. Fred Grantham, pastor of the Methodist church of Ocheyedan conducting the services.  Burial was made in the Hartley cemetery.



    Sheriff Lowry was called to the Louscher home by the widow, soon after midnight.  He began a thorough investigation of the affair and a search for Homer Edwards began.  Knowing the man formerly had resided in Worthington, Minn., he called the sheriff of the county in which Worthington is situated.  The Worthington sheriff notified Lowry that Edwards at that moment was in his office, telling him a story of trouble he had been in near Harris, but he had said nothing about the murder.

    The sheriff in Worthington later informed Lowry that Edwards' attorney had waived extradition proceedings and that Edwards would be taken to Sibley.

    Sheriff Lowry said three shots from a 45 caliber Colt pistol had taken effect in Louscher's body, one in the left foot, one in the heart, and one in the stomach.

    The gun used was a stolen one, Sheriff Lowry ascertained Tuesday.  It belonged to the Sheriff of Dickinson county.  He had lent the 45 caliber colt army pistol to the Rodeo show company operating at the Triboji Beach for the purpose of protecting the gate and box office.  Dickinson county authorities have identified the gun.

    In search Louscher a "45" steel jacketed bullet was found in the left side trouser pocket of the murdered man.  How the bullet ever lodged in the pocket remains an unsolved mystery.


George Louscher

Who was murdered Sunday night at

his home near Harris.



    "Come, ma" were the last words of the late George Louscher residing three miles northwest of Harris, victim of a cold blooded murder, late Sunday night, in front of his own home.  "I won't come, but I'll shoot him," replied Mrs. Louscher who grabbed a shot gun, too late however to save her husband, who had been mortally wounded with three shots from a "45" caliber Colt army pistol.

    Homer Edwards has been charged with the crime and is held to the grand jury.  Edwards is now held in the county jail.  Immediately following the hooting affray, he motored to Worthington, where he gave himself up to the Sheriff of Nobles county.

    Edwards is alleged to have been in a beastly state of intoxication when he surrendered to the Minnesota sheriff.  He was lodged in the Nobles county jail and was brought to the Osceola county jail here Monday afternoon.  His attorney representing him waived extradition proceedings.

    Before he collapsed, because of his alleged condition, Edwards is said to have told the sheriff at Worthington that he went to the Louscher home to secure liquor, indicating he had secured it there before.  The men had an argument, quarreled and Edwards claimed Louscher took $175 from him.  The shooting resulted and Louscher died with 45 colt revolver bullet wounds in his heart, abdomen and one foot.

    Edwards' story of robbery is doubted by Osceola county authorities as the dead man had but about $22 on his person when they arrived.

    It is said that Edwards has lived in Wyoming for some years and that in the last few days he had been working with the Rodeo show at Triboji Beach.  He has a wife and one child 3 years old.  They were with him on the night of the murder.

    Louscher is survived by his wife and five children, the oldest being 19 years old and the youngest about 4.  He had lived in the neighborhood of Harris for a dozen years being a tenant farmer on the B. J. Helm farm.




































Homer Edwards Convicted of Murder

Sibley Gazette - December 12, 1929

Slayer of George Louscher to Fort Madison




Defendant Withdraws Motion For

 New Trial.  Judge Bradley

Passes Sentence



Second Degree Murder



Louscher Was Murdered Night of

Last July 7th, Judge Bradley's

First Murder Case





killed.  Edwards maintained he shot Louscher after Louscher had attacked him, knocking him down and robbed him, but the state maintained the quarrel occurred when Edwards refused to pay for the liquor he had bought.

    After the shooting, Edwards drove, with his wife, who was a witness to the shooting, to the home of relatives at Worthington, Minn.  He later surrendered to the sheriff at Worthington and is said to have been in a state of intoxication at the time.

    Louscher leaves a widow and five children.

    Homer Edwards, convicted of the murder of George Louscher, was sentenced, Tuesday by judge Bradley to a term of ten years in the state penitentiary at Fort Madison.  Sometime ago he was convicted of the crime, the jury returning a verdict of second degree murder.

    The defendant withdrew his motion for a new trail, and sentence was immediately passed.  It is understood that this is judge Bradley's first murder trail.

    The trail of the case developed that Edwards had gone to the Louscher farm home to purchase liquor.  In a dispute between the men, Louscher was shot and







Back to Sheriff G. F. Lowry Page

Home | Mission | Services | Tips | Jail | Press | Sales | Warrants | Wanted | Photo | 911 | K9 | Staff | Jobs | Grants | History | FAQ | Links | Permits | Car Camera

Visit the Osceola County Website | Visit the Sibley Iowa Website